"Serving Communities with safe water, sustainable sanitation and healthy environment."
Kohalpur Municipality in Banke district of Lumbini Province (No. 5) like many other municipalities of Nepal has been making its efforts to achieve its sanitation goals including faecal sludge management. Under support of Phase II of WASH SDG Programme of Stichting Simavi, Kohalpur Municipality intends to construct a Faecal Sludge Treatment Plant (FSTP) as part of Faecal Sludge Management (FSM) for systematic treatment of faecal sludge collected by the desludging tankers from various sources like households, commercial complexes, schools etc. in the municipality. The concept of management of faecal sludge through FSTP is to prevent water and land pollution while at the same time recovering treated water and compost for agricultural purpose.
For this, EcoConcern provided with consultancy service to Stichting Simavi to prepare a detailed engineering design report for constructing a FSTP in Kohalpur Municipality. The FSTP design is based on information on demography, socio-economic situation, topography, geography, sanitation status, FS quantity, quality obtained through literature studies (CSP and municipal profile), past experiences with FSTP designs, meeting with municipality, SIMAVI and site visit.
The overall objective of the project is to address and support the municipality’s long-term strategic sanitation planning efforts by developing a Faecal Sludge Treatment Plant (FSTP) design suited for the Kohalpur Municipality.
The specific objectives of the study were:
1. To develop an evidence-based qualitative and quantitative knowledge and information base via study of relevant kinds of literature and reports.
2. To design a conceptual design tailored as per the municipality’s characteristics.
3. To conduct feasibility study including topographical and technical assessment of the potential site.
4. To develop a design narrative report inclusive of a layout plan.
5. To develop an extensively detailed engineering design, inclusive of the Bill of Quantities (BoQ), agreeable to the major stakeholders.
6. To strengthen the bidding document developed by the municipality.
Upon completion of the project, a detailed engineering design report for FSTP as per the Kohalpur municipality characteristics was developed and submitted in four different volumes as (i) Main report- Volume I (ii) Cost estimation and Rate analysis- Volume II (iii) Design and drawings – Volume III and (iv) Technical specifications- Volume IV.
Photograph 1: Final DPR presentation at Kohalpur Municipality
Copyright © 2020 Designed by : Quackfoot Pvt. Ltd. All Rights Reserved.